Use yoga to lose weight may not seem to work for most people. I bet they'll say, "no, it's just stretching or relaxing…" what can we do to burn calories? Well, a lot. Yoga can help a lot with weight loss if you practice it right and I'll tell you what to do in due course.
"But how can yoga help you lose weight? You're just going to relax and stretch." I cannot tell you how many times I have heard this type of comment. Well for those who are interested, yoga is a wise, safe and effective option for weight loss.
Remember, this is the oldest physical culture known to man, and not only does this exercise work the body, mind and soul. Have you seen Sting or Russell Simmons lately? "They've never been overweight! Well… they've never gained weight either and in fact they still look good for their ages, don't they?
Ok, here are the postures I recommend you when practicing Yoga for weight loss.
Let's take some notes:
Sun salutations during yoga practices for weight loss:
These exercises are a combination of yoga postures, breathing exercises, sunbathing, and prayers. They have been practiced for centuries by yoga practitioners in India, African martial artists and wrestlers, and as a rejuvenating system of body and soul they are second to none. It has been said in healing circles that a series of sun salutations is much better than a week of exercising at the gym! They are very easy to learn, and almost anyone, regardless of your level of fitness or flexibility, can learn these simple exercises. In fact, if you know the "Burpees"(Swedish gymnastic exercise), they have their origin in sun salutations.
Here are some of their advantages:
- They relieve skin and waist disorders,
- They increase flexibility and correct breathing. In addition, they lightly exercise the legs and arms, which increases blood circulation,
- They are the best way to burn calories and reduce weight and are often recommended for obesity and depression,
- They are an effective way to relax, stretch and massage all joints and internal organs of the body.
- They stimulate and balance all systems in the body including the endocrine, circulatory, reproductive, and digestive systems.
- Stand straight with the palms of your hands together, as in a prayer position.
- Inhale and stretch the arms above the head.
- Exhale and lean forward, touching the toes.
- Inhale and stretch the right leg taking a big step back and keeping the hands and left foot firmly on the ground, bend the head back, the left knee should be between the hands.
- Inhale and hold your breath, pull the left leg away from the body and, keeping both feet together and knees on the floor, press down on the hands (arms outstretched) and keep the body in a straight line from head to toe.
- Exhale and lower the body to the floor. In this position, only 8 parts of the body are in contact with the ground: both feet, both knees, both hands, chest and forehead.
- Inhale and lean back as much as possible, curving the spine as much as possible.
- Exhale and lift the body off the floor. Keep your feet and heels on the ground.
- Inhale and bring the right foot to the level of the hands; the left foot and knee should touch the ground. Look upward, slightly flexing the spine (same position as # 4)
- Exhale and bring your left leg forward. Keep the knees straight and bring the head to the knees as in the third position.
- Raise your arms above your head and lean back to inhale. As in position 2.
- Exhale, lower your arms and relax.
You have now completed a round.
Perform as many laps as possible in multiples of 3. Ideally, you should aim for a minimum of 6 laps and a maximum of 30 laps. It only takes 5-10 minutes, depending on your speed and intensity, and it's best to train with as little clothing as possible before opening an outdoor window in the morning.
In this part of the series for this article, we've reviewed the core pose or a combination of both when using yoga for weight loss. I will go over the specific poses (Asanas) that target hot spots and certain breathing exercises that speed up calorie burning. But my friends notice when I say use yoga to lose weight I mean any his members : the poses, the diet prescribed for the practice and the state of mind. If you were to exercise classic for weight loss, would you know that a healthier diet is needed? Well the same applies to yoga for weight loss as well as friends.
See you in the second part of this article.